2021 Grant Recipients
The Parkinson Council allocated $125,000 in grant funding to local organizations in 2021.
- Stay Fit Exercise Program – Funding requested for salary and operational support of the Stay Fit Program (one of three semesters).
- Funding to provide salary support for one part-time licensed clinical social worker for family counseling, health benefit navigation and facilitate contact with local support groups.
- Salary support and supplies to address fundamental questions regarding the roles of astrocytes in Parkinson’s disease and further determine how a LRRK2 or a-syn mutation in astrocytes from specific regions impacting these roles. (Grant extended from 2020.)
- Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorder Program received a grant for a new Peer/Mentoring Program.
- Requesting additional funding to continue the support and expansion of MossRehab Parkinson’s Disease Maintenance Program.
- Funding to support to sustain and expand Center City choir, ParkinSingers, and initiatives to reach a more diverse community.
- For Comprehensive Care Program:
- Nurse Educator
- Counseling Program
- Social Worker to educate and raise awareness about the impact of Parkinson’s to traditionally underserved populations.
- Funding to support Accessible Art Program for People with Parkinson’s and their Care-Partners that offers painting, drawing, sculpture and printmaking.
- Comprehensive care and treatment, including psychological and caregiver support.
Movement Programs (Virtual):
- Dance for PD in Abington, Bryn Mawr, Center City and West Chester
- Yoga Therapy by Theresa Conroy
Why do we do it?
Our mission is to provide financial support to local nonprofits and institutions dedicated to improving the quality of life for people with Parkinson’s disease , their families, and care-partners. Compassionate dedication is the core value we live by. And our vision is to “touch the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease every day.” It is also our mantra.